I am sitting. Outside. On a bench. At a palace. The children are playing on a huge playground that they have all to themselves on the grounds of the palace, which is just outside of Salzburg. It was raining earlier, but now the sun is out and the air smells fresh and clean. A hundred meters or so away from my bench, across the lush green grass and hundreds of gorgeous tulips, is the white pavilion used in the filming of The Sound of Music movie in 1964. You remember: the “Sixteen going on Seventeen” number. I love that scene.
We already toured the gardens and the palace, and are now just enjoying our surroundings and a really great zip line. Yes, even I took a few turns.
We already toured the gardens and the palace, and are now just enjoying our surroundings and a really great zip line. Yes, even I took a few turns.
There is a mini palace on a hill that overlooks the vast gardens. It is sometimes called the “Month Palace.” According to our palace audiotour, there is documentation to support the story that a guest came to visit the Archbishop and suggested that such a structure on the hill might be a nice visual complement to the grounds. A month later, as the man was traveling back through the area on his return trip, he was surprised to see a completed palace standing in the exact spot where he had suggested one be built. Like magic. Apparently being an Archbishop (and having family money?) had its perks. Sadly, he didn’t live to enjoy his summer palace for long; he died two years after it was completed.
Eventually, we had to leave. We stopped at an Aldi grocery store on the way out of town and picked up a few things to take back to our hotel. After we unloaded the groceries into the back of the car, Reyna offered to return the cart. She strolled confidently, pushed the cart into place, inserted the “key” from the chain on the next cart into our cart handle to eject the 1 Euro coin deposit and marched triumphantly back. She acted like it was no big deal -- as if we were at home, instead of in a foreign country. I was proud and a little bit amazed. My kids no longer balk at getting in a store checkout line themselves and paying for an item or two without my assistance. They say Danke ("Thanks"), Entschuldigung ("Excuse me") and Es tut mir leid ("I'm sorry") to strangers. They seem so confident and self-assured. That makes me happy.
Eventually, we had to leave. We stopped at an Aldi grocery store on the way out of town and picked up a few things to take back to our hotel. After we unloaded the groceries into the back of the car, Reyna offered to return the cart. She strolled confidently, pushed the cart into place, inserted the “key” from the chain on the next cart into our cart handle to eject the 1 Euro coin deposit and marched triumphantly back. She acted like it was no big deal -- as if we were at home, instead of in a foreign country. I was proud and a little bit amazed. My kids no longer balk at getting in a store checkout line themselves and paying for an item or two without my assistance. They say Danke ("Thanks"), Entschuldigung ("Excuse me") and Es tut mir leid ("I'm sorry") to strangers. They seem so confident and self-assured. That makes me happy.

I can't help but think that I'd want to be wearing the thickest of fabrics if invited to dine as a guest there. He certainly had an interesting sense of humor - rather clever indeed. I love the sixteen going on seventeen pavilion. I have to ask, did you take the time to skip from bench to bench after taking a dip in a fountain (just to recreate the wet look)? I would've been tempted...
ReplyDeleteWe were wet already from the rain and the trick fountains. Ahh, would that the pavilion were open and available for reliving the bench-to-bench leaping. That would have been video-camera- worthy. Could have added it to the video where the children are doing their do-re-mi dance by the fountain in Salzburg... that post yet to come. :-)
ReplyDeleteI love reading about your adventures... I even remembered that Melk was Melk right when I saw the picture!! Give the kids hugs!!
ReplyDelete