Thursday, March 25, 2010

Marathon Training and Imperial Grandeur


March 19, 2010  
I think I could become a jogger if I could come here to exercise every day.  In fact, since I’m safely in the zone of “pure hypotheticals,” I’m pretty sure I would train for a marathon if I could come here to exercise every day-- even in spite of my bad knee.  Oh, if only...
I found myself envying passing runners as we strolled down the paths of the gardens of Schönbrunn (I should say "wandered"... We were stuck in the side gardens for a good while before we figured out how to meander over to the main thoroughfare).  Just being on the grounds inspired entertaining visions of past imperial grandeur -- of Duke such-and-such greeting Countess so-and-so, and the eligible young Princesses ducking away from the ball to stroll arm-in-arm with close friends and dish about their favorite (and least favorite) dance partners of the evening.  Sigh.  If it weren’t for the hygiene issues and corsets (and again in the "pure hypotheticals" safe zone), I think I might have loved living as a member of Austrian nobility in the late 1800’s. 
Schönbrunn was the “summer residence” of the Habsburgs (although it is only four miles away from their winter residence in Vienna’s city center).  The grounds are beautiful and extensive.  There are fountains, monuments, statues, a zoo (the oldest of its kind still in use in its original function), artificial Roman ruins (which were fashionable back in the day), a maze, a greenhouse, gorgeous city views, and of course, lots and lots of BENCHES.  (For the tired lost joggers…)  Apparently, the palace grounds were opened to the public around 1779 and have been a popular recreational area ever since. 
We didn’t set foot in the 1,441-room palace itself.  We are saving that for its very own field trip.  (Although only 40 rooms are actually open to the public…)

5 comments:

  1. I wouldn't mind being a Hollywood version of a 1800's aristocrat. I still like indoor plumbing, immunizations, and the right to vote. :) It is really beautiful. Too bad about the knee. Matt still feels his too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Only 40 rooms are open to the public? There were enough rooms in that summer home to sleep everyone that came dance at the balls no doubt. I don't enjoy running enough to dream of running, even with a bum knee...but I'd love to walk myself silly in that place. ( : It's beautiful - and does make one dream of what life must have been like to spend summers there in the 1800's. Get out your dance card...and a good pair of dancing shoes and see if any other visitors feel your enthusiasm. I dare you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey girlie it's JIll!! You are tooooo funny! Hygiene issues and corsets! I'm just trying to imagine the fat around my middle getting squeezed into one of those things! Probably would lose weight since I sure as heck wouldn't feel like eating! The pictures are beautiful and your kids look like they truly are enjoying themselves! Be safe girl! We leave for a 12 hour car ride tomorrow to Phoenix!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well that is it. I am packing a parasol, white gloves, a lacy gown, pettycoat, corset...and of course (start english accent) the brooch I stole from mothers jewelry box. ;) I have a feeling relationships were much less complicated back then. Strolling around a garden arm-in-arm? I mean come on. That is good stuff. Sigh. Where are you, Mr. Darcy?

    ReplyDelete
  5. There was a palace in Schwetzingen near Heidelberg where I went to high school that also had the faux Roman ruins and a little Mosque on the grounds. I always thought it was so odd and completely frivolous, but oh so very romantic too!

    ReplyDelete