We were walking down a picturesque cobblestone street in Luzern, Switzerland when it happened. In German, I asked a nice-looking man who was walking in the same direction whether he could direct us to the Loewendenkmal (Lion Monument), an incredibly moving sculpture made in 1820 that is 33 feet wide and 20 feet tall and is carved right into the rock on the face of a cliff. We were running short on time and I didn’t want to waste any precious minutes indulging my oft keen sense of misdirection. He said we weren’t far and that he would walk with us. We exchanged pleasantries for a few minutes after which he asked if we were visiting from Germany. What? Really? I could have hugged him. The fact that he himself was from Macedonia didn’t even spoil the compliment… (For the record, my sense of nationalism and patriotic pride is still intact. Go USA.)

Luzern was a charming city and well-worth the spontaneous boarding of a train in Zurich to get there with just more than an hour of daylight to spare. Reyna, our animal-whisperer, befriended a pair of swans with a few chunks of bread, so we had a nice escort as we strolled alongside the Reuss river and crossed a 14th century bridge.


The highlight of our self-guided tour of Zurich was definitely the Grossmuenster Kirche, with its impressive architecture, carved doors with scenes from the Bible, and our mastery of the 187 stairs up a narrow, spiral staircase to get to the city view from the top of one of the two towers. Note to self: In the future, remember to watch for low beams when your upward view is obstructed by the brim of a hat. Even so, a fractured skull was but a small price to pay for the excellent cardiovascular workout and the triumphant rise of will over vertigo and claustrophobia.
It was a great day.
I'm impressed and humbled by what you guys are doing and I share the sentiment withe the traveler you encountered your first day who applauded. Amen!
ReplyDeleteI'm also impressed that you've managed to catch nothing but smiles on the faces of your kids...
Can hardly wait to see spring in the Alps!
I've enjoyed reading your blog so far. You have a nice writing style. I've been to that lion monument. Pretty impressive. We also rode a cable car up the mountain in Lucerne and a chair lift down. It was beautiful. Sounds like you're the happy tourists. Look forward to reading more.
ReplyDeleteLeute fragen mich die gleiche frage. Ich ihnen sagen, ich bin aus Amerika, aber sie mir nicht glauben. Uberraschend. ;) Leider haben uber ihren kopf.
ReplyDeleteSarah - I had no idea you were so fluent. Camille, I hope the skull fracture heals quickly. I love that lion monument. Amazing.
ReplyDelete