March 25, 2010
And forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair. Kahlil Gibran
As a reward for their hard work at being children on an extended vacation in Europe, today was a designated play day. Destination? Prater, which is Vienna’s officially designated “city playground” since the 1780’s, when it was converted from the Emperor’s hunting grounds to a public park. Prater is home to the world-famous and still-operational Riesenrad, as well as a slightly run-down amusement park (each ride individually owned and operated, like a county fair…). It is also home to a pair of very tall, non-Austrian-looking rotating park sentinels named Fortuna and Calafati, a big creepy clown on a bench, and lots of walking paths and open park space (with numerous thrilling playgrounds all completely fraught with danger).
We headed first for the Riesenrad and the amusement park – mainly because I was disoriented, uninformed and too ill-prepared to manage to avoid it. The Riesenrad is a tourist landmark in Vienna; it is a giant ferris wheel (220 feet high) that was built in 1897 and was one of the first of its kind. It is on the “Things to do in Vienna… but not yet…” list. The children were disappointed to discover that on this particular visit, we were there simply to observe and tour rather than actually participate in the rides and fun. I just told them, “Maybe when Aunt Sarah’s here…” followed by diversionary tactic, “Where are the playgrounds, anyway?” along with a few subliminal prompts like “zip line” and “no safety equipment” and “danger” under my breath, and they conceded the battle without even putting up much of a fight.


The climbing structures we found at this park should come with harnesses and safety nets (for the children) and blindfolds (for the mothers). I found myself torn between my desire to be an encouraging “you can do it” mother who motivates her children to challenge themselves and take risks, and my natural maternal instinct to be a naysaying “you’ll shoot your eye out” mother who discourages anything that might have potential to cause serious injury. After 40 minutes of nail-biting suspense, I feigned disappointment when some older boys came to challenge each other in climbing races and we successfully went in search of other playgrounds with equipment that was a little closer to the ground.
You are a good woman. I break a sweat when my kids are balancing on the curb. The pictures are lovely.
ReplyDeleteI would've been nervous too - I'm not sure how you sat by and watched. I can hardly watch Ethan as he climbs up those hanging ladders...scares me to death every time - and I clutch the ladder to cut down on the swinging and push it closer to the platform when he reaches the top. You're a bigger woman than I am. I must admit, it does look fun though. ( : Love you. It was good to talk to you guys today.
ReplyDeleteHi sweetie! Happy belated Easter! I just wanted to say again how much you amaze me! You were on my mind all day today and I just want you to know that you are my superhero! With that said I can imagine that your kiddos are getting homesick but this adventure that you are experiencing with them they will never forget! I feel like through this blog that I am experiencing it with you-sort of. Keep the pictures and stories coming! I miss you girl! Jill or (jay evelines wedding that I cannot seem to make disappear)
ReplyDelete