May 26, 2010
"...From the somptuous dawns and the sublime sunsets among the gentle breeze in the sweet scent of a thousand flowers..." Lord Byron in Sestri Levante I know -- my dead poet crush was well-traveled. It's almost as though I was his inadvertent ghost stalker, retracing all his old haunts!
J
If I am being completely honest and forthcoming, we went to Sestri Levante for the gelato. Yes, we knew it was a nice beach town and guidebooks were generous in their praise, but it was Rick Steves’ mention of a gelato place called Ice Creams’ Angels that ultimately lured us there. Part of it was sheer craving and curiosity, and part of it was simply shoulder-shrugging, “Why not?”
It was worth the spot in our itinerary. Not only was the gelato surprisingly cheap (6 Euros for big waffle cones for the four of us!) and absolutely delicious (whipped cream, sprinkles, and nutella syrup were complimentary!), but it brought back fond memories of one of my favorite forbidden TV shows of my youth. (Kris Munroe was my favorite angel. Just getting it out there.)
Sestri Levante is a beach town on a skinny little peninsula with a main street or two running its length down the middle, and flanked with bays and beachy shoreline on either side. On the one side is the Bay of Silence (allegedly the poetic inspiration for Lord Byron) and on the other, the Bay of Fairy Tales (named after fairy tale writer Hans Christian Anderson who visited in 1833).
| The town still celebrates Anderson every year with a fairy tale festival, seeking out the best unpublished fables. |
| Bay of Fairy Tales -- aka the local public beach |
What mom would take her kids to a beach town and not think to take swimsuits, towels or other such items? Umm… that would be me. I had pictured a leisurely walk along the boardwalk and beachfront, maybe taking a few pictures of the bays-- but no swimming. Nevertheless,
the second the kids saw the soft warm sand and the gorgeous blue water they wanted in. I balked. At first they were content to walk on the sand; then they got to the edge where the sand was wet and just oh-so-tempting… and the begging began. "Please, mom? Just a little bit? Just up to my knees? Please, mom? Can I get my skirt wet?"
I summoned my soaking wet children and we walked the short distance across town to the Bay of Silence (which became far less silent with the arrival of my noisy chatty brood), and later meandered back the train station to catch our ride back to Deiva Marina. As we walked back to our apartment, I saw our foccacia shop friend Lella on the street and she stopped me to deliver an important message. Through an animated and rousing game of charades I finally figured out what she was trying to tell me: the store would be closed on Thursday, but I would be able to come get my foccacia fix on Friday. Ahhh. I was happy for the information. She already knew me so well. J
| Bay of Silence |

No comments:
Post a Comment