The best thing one can do when it's raining is to let it rain.
~Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
Despite being late to bed and early to rise, we managed to be dressed, ready and on time to my parents’ 9 a.m. church meetings, where the children were thrilled to renew recent friendships with other kids they had met two months earlier at the beginning of our trip.
After church and a quick change of clothes, we went for a walk by Lake Geneva. I was surprised to see that the cold and rainy weather didn't stop some hardy boaters from taking their sailboats out on the lake. They must really love water. We found shelter in the free History of Science Museum which is housed in a beautiful old villa from the early 1800's and is surrounded by lush green trees and parkland along the lakefront.
We wandered through room by room to examine impressive collections of old scientific instruments such as microscopes, sundials, globes, barometers, etc... most dating back to the 18th and 19th centuries. It was interactive and interesting, even for a jaded museum-goer such as myself. I didn't even look to see if there were benches. :-)
Later that day I was happy for a chance to renew old friendships, as I reconnected with a couple that I have known since my undergraduate days at BYU. A little strep throat in their home had cancelled our dinner plans the first time through town, so it was fun to visit with Matt and Allison Bryan (and their beautiful and charming daughters Alexa and Parker) as I spent a leisurely few hours hanging out with them and catching up over a delicious dinner in their lovely apartment in Veroix, France (without my children!! Thanks, Mom and Dad!).
We wandered through room by room to examine impressive collections of old scientific instruments such as microscopes, sundials, globes, barometers, etc... most dating back to the 18th and 19th centuries. It was interactive and interesting, even for a jaded museum-goer such as myself. I didn't even look to see if there were benches. :-)

Ahhhh, I love your blog. The kids are still talking about their California cousins. It was the best time EVER! Glad you had an evening to yourself.
ReplyDelete