April 30, 2010
(Note: Sorry for the random unexplained and unfixable font changes...)
It was specifically included as an itemized expense on the pre-trip proposed budget outline: 4 tickets for The Sound of Music bus tour. The kids were introduced to The Sound of Music movie for the first time just months earlier at Christmas, when they received a copy of the movie on DVD in their preparatory "Surprise European Adventure" gift box. Since that time, they have watched the movie at least a half dozen times and have mastered nearly all of the song lyrics, although we all have a hard time remembering that brown paper packages come before wild nocturnal flying geese on the list of "my favorite things."
In spite of some navigational issues and GPS system glitches, we did manage to track down enough Sound of Music landmarks to satisfy even Cade's highly demanding self-guided tour requirements. Earlier in the week, we had already seen the famous glass gazebo ("16 Going on 17"), the Mondsee cathedral (wedding scene), Fuschl Castle and St. Gilgan (aerial shot), and Hohenwerfen castle ("Do Re Me" background). Today we added Castle Anif (in aerial view of Salzburg region at beginning of film), the Residence Square and Fountain ("I Have Confidence" scene), the Hohensalzburg Fortress, Nonnberg Abbey, Leopoldskron Castle (the Von Trapp "house on the water") and its garden (where gazebo was) and balcony (dance scene), the Rock Riding School Festival House (concert scene), the Horse Pond (background scenery in movie) and the original Trapp family home... or at least a place that looked enough like the photo in the book that I could declare our lengthy and time-consuming search a success so we could quit looking for it. Whew. When we passed a disembarking busload of tourists at one of the sights, Cade shot me a conspiratorial and victorious "our tour is SO much better than their tour" look. Maybe so, but at least their driver knew where he was going...
We boarded a public bus close to the car rental return place and headed for the Mirabell Gardens, a gorgeous baroque style park where (at Cade's insistence) my three children proceeded to march and sing around the big fountain and reenact "The Sound of Music" fountain scene on video for posterity. Director Cade found that it was difficult to effectively recreate a singing and dancing scene that had originally included six children, but I assured him that the limited casting options were more than offset by blond cuteness and sheer enthusiasm. ( I should have worked the amused crowd of bystanders for tips, but I was far too busy as videographer.) After a few takes, the kids thankfully called it quits and we finally bid "so long, farewell, Auf Wiedersehen, goodbye" to The Sound of Music and moved on with our exploration of Salzburg.
We stopped to buy a watercolor painting from a talented local artist, then finally made our way to see Mozart's one-time place of residence. We ordered some tasty pizza and kebaps "to go" from Reyna's Cafe (where the lone employee seemed unimpressed by the fact that the cafe "has my daughter's name all over it," but it sure made Reyna happy), then sauntered across the bridge for a look at Mozart's birthplace, a stroll around town, some gelato (of course!), and a leisurely hike up to the massive fortress on the hill. Oh, how I LOVE this beautiful city!
From nearly anywhere in or around Salzburg, it is difficult to miss the stunning Hohensalzburg Fortress, one of Europe's largest and best-preserved medieval castles. The fortress sits on a huge rock (aka small mountain) at the top of the city skyline, presiding over the city and offering spectacular panoramic views. Originally built in the 11th century and expanded over time, it served as a protection to the city's clergy and population of a thousand or so residents. Within its walls, it seems like a little city-within-a-city, since it was designed to be self-sustaining if necessary. Due to the lateness of the hour, we missed our chance to tour the museum and see the castle rooms that are open to the public. But we still got to wander through parts of the fortress, check out some cannons, and hang out in the courtyard, where the kids played a ring toss game and Regan built a fortress out of blocks. Most importantly, we got to enjoy the stunning views of Salzburg... and we are still left with a great excuse to have to go back someday.

Loved it! I didn't know all the Sound of Music anecdotes, so that was fun. Keep the stuff about Christopher Plummer quiet. Matt would be disappointed. :) Loved the Gyros shop with such a beautiful name.
ReplyDeleteLoved reading this post. I have done the Sound of Music bus tour and yours sounds WAY better. Although I've only spent a week in Salzburg, after reading this post I am actually feeling homesick for it.
ReplyDeleteWhat a great adventure. I'm so glad you are continuing to post. Sorry I missed you while you were in town, but you know, I was enjoying a drive through eastern Nevada.
I hope you are well. Let's talk sometime soon.